Sunday, March 15, 2009

Denial

Denial is a defense mechanism in which a person is faced with a fact that is too painful to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. The subject may deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether, admit the fact but deny its seriousness or admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility.

The theory of denial was first researched seriously by Anna Freud. She classified denial as a mechanism of the immature mind, because it conflicts with the ability to learn from and cope with reality.

I'm not making another fucking long post so I would just take 1 paragraph from the website while the rest can be read on your own at the link below.

Types of Denial
Denial of fact: This form of denial is where someone avoids a fact by lying. This lying can take the form of an outright falsehood (commission), leaving out certain details in order to tailor a story (omission), or by falsely agreeing to something (assent, also referred to as "yesing" behavior). Someone who is in denial of fact is typically using lies in order to avoid facts that they think may be potentially painful to themselves or others.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/denial

So basically, thats all to it. I kind of delayed this post for a fucking long time because I bookedmarked the webpage and kind of forgotten about it until now. I don't exactly remember the details of why I wanted to blog about this but I hope the message gets out to whomever I intended it to be for and also to those who feel that this message applies to them or may help them.

For once I have a post that is not directed at myself but at others whom I feel should be reading this. Hopefully I can stop looking at the faults of myself and others and instead see the good in all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home